I’ve been awarded a grant by the European Journalism Centre to head a multimedia project about illegal abortions in Cambodia and Nepal.
The project will visually explore why a large number of women in Nepal and Cambodia undergo banned procedures to end their pregnancies, when abortion is legal in both countries.
We will provide women a space to tell their own stories to a mass audience through text, photos, video, audio and data visualizations.
This grant comes at a time when funding for global women’s reproductive rights is being severely cut, so it’s crucial to continue highlighting the state of abortion access and its impact across the world.
The team includes:
- Tara Todras-Whitehill – team leader for production, photography, videography and writing
- Matt Ford – team leader for data visualization creation
- Jack Zahora – text editor
- Rojita Adhikari – journalist focused on women’s issues in Nepal
- Chandan Jha – founder of Nepali fixer company
- Marta Kasztelan – journalist focused on women’s issues in Cambodia
- Sukummono Khan – journalist focused on women’s issues in Cambodia
Women’s reproductive rights is an issue we’re passionate about at Vignette Interactive, and we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to bring these stories to light.
We plan to begin work on this project in July. Stay tuned for updates!